Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Sunday, August 29, 2010
The Majorly Personal Meme, Part Two
Link back to
Sunday Stealing!Sunday Stealing: The Majorly Personal Meme, Part Two
21. If you were to live your life without your best friend, what would change?
Because I have been such a gypsy, I have not had a "best friend" since my high school days. I've been just fine with co-worker friends and acquaintances. I enjoy my facebook friends too. : )
22. Tell us about a era of your life that you really miss.
The 1970s. Hands down. Junior High to High to Graduating to Disco to first apartment... Aces!
23. Have you ever been betrayed by someone that came as a complete surprise? Without revealing the person, if yes, tell us about it.
At work, there had been a co-worker who shared their greiveances with me often and I with them. The business was in trouble a couple years later and that employee was promoted to replace a person who had been let go. I sent him an e-mail one morning with our usual gripe share and he forwarded it to my boss with a comment like "Can you believe what Kathy is saying?" The boss called me into the office and read me the riot act. I was downsized within a month. I learned a LOT about trust and about e-mailing co-workers from this incident.
24. Do you ever think that is a good idea to hide your feelings?
Yes, at work!
25. Tell us about your favorite year when you were a student.
When I was a student in my senior year, I was pretty, hip, dating heavily, quite popular, about to graduate, and had pre-enlisted in the ARMY. I thought my future was well-taken care of, and the whole world was...my oyster. Boy was I blissfully dumb!
25. When was the last time you were in a very good mood? What caused it?
A 2nd question 25?! South American white wine the other night had me in too good a mood. I was told I was quite amusing in this state, but yesterday morning I had a hangover from hell.
26. Have you ever had a romantic relationship with a sibling of a good friend?
No relationships with friend's immediate relatives, but I dated a neighbor's cousin one night. He was a total drip. I also dated a set of brothers...does that count?
27. Tell us about the last thing that you did that you truly regret.
A mis-handled legal matter due to a bad lawyer about 5 years ago.
28. When did you laugh today?
It's early in the morning, so laughs don't come easy, but I did chuckle when I saw evidence that Bud had gotten into the ice cream in the middle of the night.
29. Do you trust easily?
No (see question 23).
30. What do you care about that you wish more people would?
Kindness and Common Sense.
31. Is it easier for you to go without food or go without sleep?
Sleep is not so important. Food is very important to me, especially coffee.
32. What non-alcohol beverage do you enjoy drinking the most?
Have I ever mentioned coffee?!!! I use my Keurig in the morning, go have Dunkee on the way to work, have a cuppa from the work deli early afternoon, and sip an iced coffee on the way home from work. I also sneak Bud's Diet Coke every now and then. I hate water and have never been able to drink a whole glass of it...
33. When you walk into a room full of strangers, generally how is your confidence?
It depends on the situation the degree, but yes, confident around strangers. I am puppy dog friendly. That seems to charm most people.
34. Does talking about sex with anyone but your lover make you uncomfortable?
Co-workers and friends. I find women are capable of telling co-workers possibly more than their lovers at times. I have heard and discussed things with co-workers that would curl your toes.
35. Do you tend to believe members of the opposite sex mostly behave the same way?
I think there are some traits each gender has across the board, but everyone is an individual, and I like the unique qualities someone brings to the table.
36. Did you drink any alcohol this week? If yes, what?
Oh jiminey whiz...drinking again. A few bourbon & diet cokes and one long night of South American white wine. AM I ready for my intervention yet?
37. Would you ever consider being a vegetarian?
I have done it a few short periods in my life. Not a bad way to live. I was vegetarian the entire time I lived in England (3 years), except for fish n chips... Bud is the ultimate carnivore, so I tend to eat some form of meat daily now, and it doesn't bother me, but I love veggies and non-meat entree's.
38. Do you believe that there’s always room in your heart for someone?
Yes. Always. But not everyone.
39. Do you believe in the concept of soul mates?
Yes, but I think we have different soul mates in different phases of our lives. I find it very difficult to understand people who have been with only one person for their whole life since their teenage years. Boggles the mind.
40. Last week, we had a few players criticize our victim’s questions. Which is fine to do and we value your opinion. Would you ever consider writing questions for Bud and me to post on a Sunday Stealing?
Sure I'd be glad to, but I didn't criticise you. I enjoy the memes...even questions that don't do it for me...As for those who complain...my friend told me years ago "There's Always Someone in Hell Asking for Ice Water".
Saturday, August 28, 2010
1. Who was the last person you dealt with that felt that they could never be wrong?
Bud...but he usually IS right. Dammit.
2. Tell us about one person who is the most like you.
I am an original I'm afraid. lol, actually, I think fictional movie characters can come close. Doris Day played an interior designer in PILLOW TALK that I feel is a lot like me, and Suzanne Pleshette played a vacationing professional in IF ITsTUESDAY THIS MUST BE BELGIUM and I can imagine myself in her place.
3. What is something you really want right now?
I want my head to stop aching. I am very hung over. Tried a new South American wine last night...
4. What are you doing this weekend?
Bud does not know this yet, but I am painting the hallway and bedroom...if I have to look at these white walls one more day I will scream....
5. Are you in a good mood?
I was last night...
6. Do you have an ex that you are pretty sure thinks about you a lot?
Yes. My ex best friend Rick.
7. What's one thing you wish you could do but can't?
Own a dog...
8. What's one trait you hate in a person?
Loud gum chewing
9. What's one thing you like to do alone?
Friday, August 27, 2010
Today we picked Elvis. The song titles are in caps. Both the titles and the lyrics are in bold. Here's Rock 'n Roll Fridays!
1. A LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION
“A little less conversation, a little more action please All this aggravation ain't satisfactioning me A little more bite and a little less bark A little less fight and a little more spark Shut your mouth and open up your heart and baby satisfy me (satisfy me) Satisfy me baby”
What is your favorite topic for long conversations?
2. TEDDY BEAR
“Baby let me be, your lovin' Teddy Bear Put a chain around my neck, and lead me anywhere Oh let me be Your teddy bear.”
What was your favorite stuffed animal or comfort object as a child?
I had a baby blanket I named "Ba" that I still have tattered pieces left of. As a young child, I really loved my stuffed dalmation dog named Snoopy that is now perched in my childhood home upstairs in the attic.
3. SUSPICIOUS MINDS
“We can’t go on together With suspicious minds And we can’t build our dreams On suspicious minds…”
What are you suspicious of?
Things that are too good to be true.
4. THE WONDER OF YOU
“When no one else can understand me When everything I do is wrong You give me hope and consolation You give me strength to carry on”…
What is the best feature of your present or last S/O?
He keeps me on my toes.
5. ARE YOU LONESOME TONIGHT
“Do the chairs in your parlor Seem empty and bare? Do you gaze at your doorstop and picture me there? Is your heart filled with pain? Shall I come back again? Tell me dear, are you lonesome tonight?”
What is your favorite feel good movie when you are depressed?
There are a few. My alltime favorite is IF IT'S TUESDAY THIS MUST BE BELGIUM, followed closely by PILLOW TALK and 16 CANDLES.
6. JAILHOUSE ROCK
“Let’s Rock Everybody let’s rock Everybody in the whole cell block Was dancing to the jailhouse rock”…
What would be the worst part about being in prison?
“Hey listen world you’ve gotta know I’m cutting loose and letting go Who needs the worry and the strife Life can be a ball now just following my life Clambake…gonna have a clambake”…
What is your favorite food cooked out of doors (on a fire/ grill/ pit)?
S'MORES, Steak (Medium Well) and Foil Beef Stew (Girl Scouts camp).
8. IN THE GHETTO
"As the snow flies on a cold and gray Chicago morn A poor little baby child is born in the ghetto And his mama cries cause if there’s one thing that she don’t need Is another hungry mouth to feed in the ghetto”…
Where was the worst place you ever lived?
There were quite a few lemons. I've lived in over 35 places! A rooming house in London comes to mind. I shared a bedroom room with another girl. The landlord was a creep who would try to come into our room at night when he got drunk. He had a sad parrot that lived on a pole in the kitchen and bit anyone who tried to enter it. I never cooked there and kept all my things in a chest by my bed. It was a great location just down the street from Paul McCartneys house and the (underground) tube station, but I never felt comfortable there and moved after only 2 months.
Another place was a studio apartment in Los Angeles. I did not have a good sense of storage ideas back then and had piles of stuff everywhere in the single room I lived in over a year. The 3rd worst place was when my roommate had rented my room thinking I would not show up to live there from CT, so I slept on the floor in the livingroom until I could find another place. It took over 3 weeks to move out. It was near Miami, FL and I awoke on several nights to Palmetto Bugs (roaches kind of) crawling on me.
9. LOVE ME TENDER
“Love me tender Love me sweet Never let me goYou have made my life complete And I love you so”…
What is your favorite type of filling in a box of mixed chocolates?
Chocolate truffle, coconut, orange creme, anything with nuts, and caramel. Choosing one type is a cruel and agonizing thought.
10. BLUE SUEDE SHOES
“Well it’s one for the money Two for the show, three to get ready now go cat go, But don’t you step on my blue suede shoes Well you can do anything but lay off of my blue suede shoes”…
Describe your favorite pair of shoes of all time.
Three pair come to mind...I have owned a lot of shoes! The first was a pair of white GO GO boots I had begged my mother to buy me for Xmas in the 1960s. I wore a hole thru the sole wearing them so much and only gave them up when my feet grew too big to fit them.
The 2nd favorite pair are from when I lived in London and got them from a Camden Town cobbler who had famously outfitted Madness and other English ska bands. They were oxblood colored Doc Marten boots...a big hit in 1980s footwear. They got ruined in a basement apartment I lived in that got flooded a few years ago and I cried when I threw them out.
The 3rd pair are the 2 1/2" gold and glass heeled, goldfish filled dressy shoes I wore often to The DIALTONE disco. I felt very special with these shoes on!
11. HOUND DOG
“You ain’t nothion but a hound dog Cryin all the time You ain’t nothing but a hound dog Cryin all the time You ain’t never caught a rabbit And you ain’t no friend of mine”…
What is your favorite dog breed, or what kind of dog do you own?
12. ALL SHOOK UP
“ wella bless my soulWhat’s wrong with me? I’m itchin like a cat on a fuzzy tree My friends say I’m actin wild as a bug I’m in love I’m all shook up Oh oh oh…mm, mmm, oh yeah yeah!"
What shook you up recently?
I've recently moved to CT. The cost of insurance and the process to get my license and register my car there was the most recent shake up.
13. HARD HEADED WOMAN
"A-Well a hard headed woman A soft hearted man Been the cause of trouble Ever since the world began oh Yeah!”
What are you most stubborn about?
I want it my way.
Thursday, August 26, 2010
Bud. It's always Bud. At least 3 times last week. The closest runner up would be anyone on the Pike at rush hour at the toll lanes.
2. If you had 1,000 dollars and HAD to spend it, what would you buy?
HAD to?! LOL I guess personal business should be dealt with, Debts paid off, etc. Nothing fun like Fall clothes shopping or anything...ummm...well, on 2nd thought....
3. What was the last beverage you spilled on yourself?
Diet Coke and Crown Royal Black with Ice.
4. When was the last photograph you took? What was it of?
My father, sister, Bud and myself visiting at the nursing home.
5. Who was the last person to smoke a cigarette in your presence?
6. What animal did you last pet or hold?
I was forced to pet Bud's son's cat Mister Jones. I am a dog person, so you can imagine how painful that was for me.
7. What was the last superstitious thing you did?
Threw salt over my left shoulder.
8. What was the last text message you received?
An irritating one from my ex phone carrier. I do not text.
9. Berleen has decided to buy twelve goats. If she trades three for some awesome pot, loses one while she was stoned, what do you think she did with the rest?
I hope she shared it with her friends...oh, the goats?
10. What was the last musical instrument played in your presence?
Bud plays his knees all the time to music.
11. What was the last note that you wrote on your hand?
Diet Coke, Birthday Card, Slim Jims, Band Aids
12. Kimber announced that she was born on another planet. Which one do you think it was and why?
What state does she live in? I think it was that planet. Anywhere but New England might as well be another planet.
13. What are you wearing as you answer these ridiculously stupid TT questions?
Work clothes...my bad. Doing this on the clock...
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Here's Wednesday Wickedness!
Today we picked Angelina Jolie.
1. “All women do have a different sense of sexuality, or sense of fun, or sense of like what's sexy or cool or tough.” What do you do to feel sexy?
With Bud, I only need a pulse.
2. “I don't think the money people in Hollywood have ever thought I was normal, but I am dedicated to my work and that's what counts.” Do you think people think you are normal?
Absolutely not and I'm flattered by that.
3. “If you ask people what they've always wanted to do, most people haven't done it. That breaks my heart.” What have you always wanted to do?
Be debt-free, have enough spare time to pursue my interests and listen to good music 24/7.
4. “There's something about death that is comforting. The thought that you could die tomorrow frees you to appreciate your life now.” What do you appreciate the most about your life at this time?
Bud, music and my good health.
5. “Where ever I am I always find myself looking out the window wishing I was somewhere else.” If you could be somewhere else, where would you be and why?
Probably England. I lived there 3 years and I get homesick for it often. Just to visit mind you, as I am an American Girl thru and thru.
6. “I need more sex, OK? Before I die I wanna taste everyone in the world.” Have you ever felt that you need more sex to be happier?
7. “If I make a fool of myself, who cares? I'm not frightened by anyone's perception of me.” Have you ever made a fool of yourself? If yes, spill.
In the 1980s I once painted half my face black and the other silver. It went smashingly well with my partly grown out bleached mohawk hair...I remember a tourist taking a photo of me when I exited the restaurant. I felt like a celebrity, but now I realise I just looked really weird.
8. “I don't believe in guilt, I believe in living on impulse as long as you never intentionally hurt another person, and don't judge people in your life. I think you should live completely free.” How often do you feel guilty?
Guilt is a wasted emotion.
9. “I never like being touched, ever. People used to say I held my breath when they were hugging me. I still do.” Are you ever uncomfortable being touched?
Can't stand being touched by strangers. I am NOT a "hugger". By Bud, another story.
10. “Oh, God, I struggle with low self-esteem all the time! I think everyone does. I have so much wrong with me, it's unbelievable!” Give us an example of what you’ve done when feeling low self-esteem.
Got my hair done, bought a pair of shoes, a new handbag, etc. That girlie girl part of me emerges, but not often.
Saturday, August 21, 2010
1. Introduce yourself.
Hello there! My name is Kathy.
HEY...where did numbers 2, 3 and 4 go?????
5. Did you ever get into a bar and drink before you were 21?
Yes. When I was 17, the drinking age in CT was 18 and I could easily sneak into bars. I especially enjoyed going to a certain disco called The DIALTONE. Nice DJ there named Gary Hunter...
6. What countries have you been to?
Canada, Mexico, England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Belgium, France, Switzerland and Liechtenstein...and all over the USA.
7. Do you watch MTV anymore?
Not since "Springstein, Madonna, way before Nirvana, there was U2 and Blondie and music still on MTV"...
8. What do you think about Oprah
I admire her. Positive role model. Does not deserve the dirt dished about her.
And number 9 is missing too!
10. You need a new pair of jeans: what store do you go to first?
Ancient Chinese Secret.
11. Did you ever watch The O.C.?
12. What kind of car do you drive
Not the kind I want or love.
13. Honestly, is that car insured?
At the moment...
14. Do you like sushi?
I cannot think of anything grosser to put in my mouth...err...well maybe I can, but I hate seafood in general.
15. Have you ever been to Tiffany & Co. or Saks 5th Ave?
Yes, and I've been to the Saks outlet store. I get around.
16. Did your parents spoil you growing up?
Yes, but I was also emotionally abused, so even steven.
17. Do you like roller coasters?
Used to...now I yak up on them.
18. What magazine(s) do you buy regularly or subscribe to?
InStyle and Real Simple are my subscriptions. Weekly I get Women's World at the checkout. I love mags like All You and Glamour also.
19. Do you remember the old WB show “Popular”?
20. When you go out do you prefer to go to a dance club or to a bar?
Bar with live music is fine, but quiet bar is better if I'm romancin.
21. What do you think about gay marriage?
Anyone over 18 should be able to marry anyone they want. I wish everyone happiness regardless of sexual gender preference. This is the 21st Century no?
22. Who do you think will be the next president?
23. Are you registered to vote?
Not yet. Just moved into town. Was registered in Williamstown where I lived prior to this.
24. Do you own an iPad?
Not yet. I wait for newer cheaper versions before I buy electronics.
25. Is your bathroom filled with beauty stuff?
Yep. Mostly hair and skin stuff. The makeup is in another room.
The Majorly Personal Meme, Part One
1. Are you happier now than you were five months ago?
Yes definitely. I met a very special man after a lapse of over 35 years of wondering whatever happened to him...
2. Have you ever slept in the same bed with anyone that you shouldn't have?
Yes, my first husband.
3. Can you sleep in total darkness?
No, I need a night light of some kind.
4. Your phone is ringing. It’s the person you fell hardest for, the one who got away, what do you say?
It depends on my personal situation at the time of the call. Right now, I am with the man I care about most. Old boyfriends won't affect me.
5. What do you think about the weather this summer?
I hate hot summer weather. I look forward to September when the weather takes on the crisp freshness I like and the trees turn color and the apples are ready.
6. How many people do you trust with everything?
One or two.
7. What was the last thing you drank?
Bourbon and Diet Coke. Am presently sipping same.
8. Is there anyone you want to come see you?
I tend to like to visit others and not have them visit me. I like visiting with the Airedales.
9. Name one thing you love about winter?
Sweaters, Fireplaces, Holiday Baking, Hot Cocoa, Sleigh Rides, Getting warm after being cold. Snow on tree branches. I have many reasons to like Winter.
10. Have you ever dated a Goth?
Yes. I do not plan to date another. I was kind of "Gothy" myself briefly in the late 1980s.
11. What are you looking forward to tomorrow?
Having NO plans for a change.
12. Name something you dislike about the day you’re having?
I was visiting my father in a nursing home. That shot a good portion of the day's good mood.
13. What's the longest that you have committed to one person and one person only?
8 long horrible years to a husband I no longer have or miss.
14. What’s the first thing you did when you opened your eyes today?
Stumbled out to the kitchen to fire up the first cup of Kona in the Keurig machine.
15. Has anyone ever told you they never want to ever lose you?
Yes. It amazes me.
16. Is there anybody that you wish you could fix your relationship with?
Yes, a family member. It has been 12 years and we have gotten used to not speaking to each other or interacting in each other's lives in any way. Well, maybe that's a NO then.
17. Could you go out in public, looking like you do now?
Yes, but not driving. I'm drinking alcohol at the moment.
18. Do you think things will change in the next 3 months? How?
Hmmm...hopefully I'll learn my new job by then and be a bit more settled in at Bud's place. I know I will have my car registered and my new state drivers license by then.
19. Do you believe that you never know what you got until you lose it? I never knew what I didn't have till I got it.
20. Do you have a friend of the opposite sex you can talk to?
Not any more.
Thursday Thunks: A Face for Radio
The TT questions are brought to you by Bud, the color of Sarah Palin's bible and the number 333.
1. What radio personality bothers you the most?
A few of the obnoxious DJs on WAAF cross the line on ethical comments.
2. If abandoned alone in the wilderness, would you survive?
Yep, I was a Girl Scout and I am very resourceful!
3. If a sexy person was pursuing you, but you knew she was married, And neither her S/O or yours would never know, might you to the deed?
4. Do you like to pursue or be pursued?
Both. Part of the fun is seducing, the rest is being seduced.
5. Use three words to describe yourself.
Funny. Smart. Co-Dependent.
6. If Berleen was on a camping trip, do you thing she’d attract grizzlies?
If she uses that Angus Beef cologne, yes.
7. Do you think more about the past, present or future?
Present. You cannot change the past and the future is not here yet. I feel sorry for people who canot focus on the NOW and feel compelled to live in their glories of the past.
8. If your house was on fire, what would be the first thing, other than family or pets, that you grabbed?
My computer external hard drive, for it has music and photos on it.
9. Was your mom a cheerleader?
My mom played on a women's softball team (like League of Their Own) and was quite a good athlete. Cheerleading was not an option for anyone in our family.
10. Was your dad a jock?
No, but he was good looking and knew how to party.
11. Bud’s been gone a while. Do you think he will return or shut down that Googled Warned blog?
I hope he keeps up with the blogs...at least I know where he is when he is blogging.
12. What’s your favorite junk food?
Let me count the ways! In summer, Ice Cream. In Autum, Apple Cider Donuts. In Winter, Cookies. In Spring, Pie.
Chocolate and popcorn are year-round of course.
13. Do you believe in reincarnation?
Yes. We are inhabiting these body shells on a temporary basis.
Friday, August 20, 2010
Sunday Stealing: The Crafty Fifty Meme, Part Two
26. What do you normally smell like?
Shalimar, Perry Ellis or Orange body wash...
27. Do you like Carrie Underwood?
I like that song about her taking Louisville slugs to both headlights on the pimped out car owned by that guy who wears $3 worth of bathroom Polo while he cheats with the gal who can't shoot whiskey. Not a fan of country music otherwise.
28. Been to “The Vegas”?
Not yet, but what happens in VT stays in VT and I've had some grand times there... the lights of Vegas look mighty pretty on TV.
29. How far away do you live from your parents?
Not far enough.
30. Are you happy with your job?
Love it! Especially if my boss is reading this. lol ;-)
31. Where do you work and what do you do there?I work for a company that sells fundraising products to schools and other organizations. I am in customer service, also helping with their website and I attend conventions to promote the company.
32. What did you get in the mail today?
My REAL SIMPLE magazine arrived. Joy of joys. I love to get mags in the mailbox. Also got an ad addressed to "resident". I get very little snail mail.
33. How do you like your steak cooked?
Medium Well. If it's rare, it's going back to the kitchen and expect the tip to be smaller.
34. Britney Spears…is she back?
I guess so. I like some of her music. She is a victim of the post-Disney child syndrome. The girl can't help but be messed up. Still she was cute as the other half of Justin Timberlake.
35. What do you usually order at Taco Bell?
I don't go there very often. I like to get the mystery meat crunchy tacos with mild sauce.
36. Have you ever sat all the way through Gone With the Wind?Yes, love the cinematography. I am jealous of her 19 inch waist and her gorgeous eyes. I never cared for Clark Gable. My father is from The South, so I have an odd interest in that culture.
37. Have you ever been to Mt Rushmore?
Nope, but I have been to The Berkshires...those are beautiful mountains but with no faces carved in them.
38. Is it just me, or was The Marine (w/John Cena) a really horrible movie?
I never saw it, but I'll trust your review. Last bad film I saw was THE HANGOVER. That one sucked bricks, but we fast-forwarded to the end so we could find out what happened to Doug.
39. Are surveys like the cocaine of myspace?
I don't use MYSPACE. I am over 19 years old.
40. Where is your favorite place (that you have actually been to)?
I like different things about different places and I have lived a lot of places. I would have to say England is the coolest, especially North Kensington and Ealing-London, where I lived 3 years.
41. What is your favorite candle scent
I like MacIntosh from Yankee Candle, Ginger Peach from Pier 1 and Vanilla from most other places. Unscented for dinner table usage, Patchoulli for spiritual atmosphere, anything available for sexual escapades.
42. Do you believe places can really be haunted?
Yes. I am a BIG fan of Ghost Hunters (TAPS).
43. Do you smoke cigarettes?
No. I tried one at age 7 when my father left the room and one was in the ashtray lit. I'll never forget it was a Camel (Non-Filter). It was my last and I'll never have another (tobacco, that is).
44. Have you ever been to NYC or LA?
Been to Both. Not a fan of NY. Too crime-laden. I lived in L. A. for 3 years in the early 1980s. A fun time, great for music, wild hair, and odd fashion. I got caught up in a negative lifestyle mainly because of the ethics a 9 to 1 ratio of women to men creates. I became a shell of a person. Glad to be back in New England.
45. How many states have you been to where all you saw was the airport?
I have seen all the states that I have landed in, and a few countries to boot.
46. Do you think 50 questions is enough?More More MORE!
47. Are you currently planning a trip?
Just got back from one. I'm planning to rest this week thank you.
48. Is Ryan Seacrest gay? Should anyone care?
I don't know and I don't care. If he does his job well, that's all that matters. Geesh.
49. Do you take anti-depressants? Sleeping pills
No, never. I don't believe in taking medication unless it absolutely totally is required by a person to live. I presently only take vitamins.
50. What do you think about space travel?
I am a Star Trek fan. Love it of course!
Saturday 9: Superstition
1. What are you superstitious about?
What comes around goes around, so I try to be nice.
2. What’s the story behind one of your scars?
As a 2 year old, I climbed up the huge console TV cabinet to reach a bowl of mixed nuts. I fell against the set and made a gash above my eye that remains to this day, 50 years later. Back in those days, a mother's kiss and a band-aid were all we had for scar treatment.
3. What are three things that you would rather be doing right now?
1- Eat Something Yummy 2-Be with Bud 3-Watch something cool on the HD TV
4. What do you do when you're bored?
Drive around and listen to music. It always makes my mood change.
5. What's your favorite thing to do? Why?
Listen to music. It is the soundtrack to my life.
6. What do you do when you're lonely?
7. How do you measure the passing of time in life?
Little Kid, Big Kid, Teenager, Stupid Young Adult, Adult, Old Person
8. What would constitute "the perfectly lived day" for you?
Any event or happening I attend that makes me happy, such as the BIG E, a wedding, roll in the hay with a special man, or a Blue Man Group concert.
9. If you knew you were going to die in a year, what would you do in your final days?
Crap...how depressing! I never think about dying, ever.
Saturday 9: Welcome Back
Another fun meme!
1. Where were you the last time that someone welcomed you back?
I was returning to my man's son's house to continue my vacation after being away to see my father in the nursing home. I also was checking on the CT house. I got a real NICE welcome from the man...
2. Tell us who is you favorite non-family member to hang out with?
I love hanging out with the 2 Airedale dogs that my previous bosses own. I visit the Berkshires every few weeks to go up and see them. I wrote a blog for a year about their adventures called AIREDALE ANTICS. It is still on the 1896 House website at the bottom of the home page along with my other work-related blog called BERKSHIRE RAMBLINGS. www.1896house.com
3. What was the last thing that happened to anger you?
Last night, I opened two spoiled bottles in a row of my favorite white wine THAI LOTUS . The 3 bottles I had before them were just fine so I was thrown for a loop. (Hey, ummm, they were not all drunk on the same night BTW!)
4. What was the last thing that you saw that was shocking to see?
My ex-phone company sent me a letter telling me THEY were canceling my service. I had turned them off and canceled my account over 2 months ago. I was NOT amused.
5. What is your favorite thing to do on Saturday besides Saturday 9?
A day trip, a sleep in with THE MAN, or a get together of some sort with family or friends.
6. Have you had your summer vacation yet? If yes tell us about it.
Yes, last week I spent a week with 7 other people. Attended a wedding on the Saturday, then became a house guest at my man's son's place. We all shared one bathroom. You do the math. I really enjoyed meeting his kids and grandkids. We ate, drank a lot, played board games (or is that BORED games?), splashed around, and had fun in and around the pool. I took a million photos.
7. Pick out one of your cousins and tell us about them
My cousin David married a man long before it was so readily accepted and still lives happily with him in Kansas many years later in a gingerbread Victorian house.
8. Do you have any special plans for next week?
I want to catch my breath now back from vacation before the busy season starts at my job and plan to catch up on chores. Would love to finish the inventory for my last job. I'd promised I'd do it for them before October even tho I no longer work there.
9. At what age will you consider yourself old and why?
Gee, I think I already answered this in another meme. My ballpark number on old will be somewhere in the 70s or 80s if I survive til then, but I will fight BEING old. I still feel 30 something in my head, but the joints and wrinkles definitely are in their 50s.
Thursday, August 19, 2010
Hi and welcome to Rock 'n Roll Fridays. A Meme about music lyrics.
1. 21 GUNS:“Do you know what’s worth fighting for? When it’s not worth dying for? Does it take your breath away and you feel yourself suffocating?”
What was the last cause/reason that you signed a petition or joined in a protest?
I signed an online petition to have PAUL REVERE & THE RAIDERS inducted into the ROCK N ROLL HALL OF FAME.
2. AMERICAN IDIOT:“Don’t want to be an American idiot One nation controlled by the media. Information age of hysteriaIt’s going out to idiot America”
Where is the best place for trusted information about world events?
BERKSHIRE DAILY, my online newspaper.
3. GOOD RIDDANCE:“Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go So make the best of this test and don’t ask why. It’s not a question but a lesson learned in time”…
What was the last lesson or message about life you learned?
REALLY really think about the future when you get a tattoo burned into the back of your neck...especially as an older woman... who works in a conservative office.
4. WELCOME TO PARADISE:“Dear Mother Can you hear me whining? It’s been 3 weeks since that I left your home. This sudden fear has left me trembling Cause now it seems that I am out here on my own And I’m feeling so alone”…
Where was the place you went to live when you first moved out of your parents/guardians home?
I lived in a horrible barracks with 31 other women of various backgrounds and dispositions. I had enlisted in the US ARMY because my parents said I was too pretty for college and refused to help me pay for it. One of the worst decisions of my life.
5. MINORITY:“I want to be the minorityI don’t need your authority Down with the moral majorityCause I want to be the minority”…
When have you ever felt like an outsider?
Anytime people start talking about their kids. I don't have any (by choice). A close second is being around folks who like to talk about LOST, SURVIVOR or RELIGION.
6. WHEN I COME AROUND:“Oh I heard it all before So don’t knock down my door I’m a loser the user So I don’t need no accuser To try and slag me down because I know you’re right”…
What was the last bad thing you discovered about yourself?
That I snore...I was informed of this recently by the gentleman I am cohabitating with.
7. MISERY:“Mr. Whirly had a catastrophic incident He fell into the city by the bay He liquidated his estate Now he sleeps upon the Haight Panhandling misery”…
If you have ever been poor, what lesson, skill-set or experience came from it?
I can stretch a $20 bill for a week's worth of groceries.
8. 80:“Sometimes I wonder if I should be left alone And lock myself up in a padded room I’d sit and spew my guts out in the open air Cuz no one wants to hear a drunken fool”…
How do you relax after a stressful day?
Alcohol is involved, and the MAN in my life.
9. REDUNDANT:“We’re livin in a repetition Content in the same old stick again Now the routine’s turnin to a contention Like a production line goin over and over and over roller coaster”…
Do you do something over and over the same way, even though you know there is a better/simpler way to do it?
Argue. I still don't do it right.
10. ANDROID:“It makes me wonder when I grow to be that age Will I be walking down the street begging for your spare change Or will I grow that old? Will I still be around? The way I carry on, I’ll end up 6 feet underground and waste away”…
What age do you believe is OLD and why?
Old is when you stop being interested in what's going on in the world. Old is when you dig your heels in the sand and refuse to learn a new system at work, embrace a new technology, or accept the concept that the way it has always been done is not always right. I'm not there (old) yet, even at 52.
11. WAITING:“I’ve been waiting a lifetime for this moment to come I’m destined for anything at all”…
What is your biggest dream in life (so far)?
To be happy and content. There is potential, but I'm not THERE yet either.
12. POPROCKS AND COKE:“I don’t care is you don’t mind I’ll be there, not far behind I will dare, keep in mind, I’ll be there for you”…
What is the biggest favor you ever did for family or for a friend?
I'm sure it is coming up soon. I generally help anyone in need. A co-dependent habit.
13. BASKET CASE:“Yea, I went to a shrink to analyze my dreams, She says it’s lack of sex that’s bringin’ me down…”
What would you like more of in your life?
Spare time and inspiration.
Tuesday, August 17, 2010
Hi and welcome to Wednesday Wickedness.
HUGH GRANT QUOTES
1. “Basically, my life is so boring, it's embarrassing.”
How boring do you think your life is?
2. “But I just know from experience that accent wise, even if you're an accent genius, crossing the Atlantic is the hardest thing in the world either way.”
Can you do any accents? If not, do you know someone who is good at it?
I made fun of Valley Girls when I lived in L.A. back in the 80s...I sound like them often in conversation and can do the accent quite well when asked, which is not often.
3. “For any new technology there is always controversy and there always some fear associated with it.”
What technology did you at first fear that you now could not live without?
4. “I cling to the fantasy that I could have done something more creative. Like actually writing a script, or writing a book. But the awful truth is that I... probably can't!”
Do you, or have you ever, thought you have a book in you?
I do and have created 5 children's books about my sock monkey. I get a lot of my feelings out thru this character.
5. “I had Courtney Love's left bosom out of her dress on my plate in front of me. It was extraordinary. I didn't know where to look.”
Have you ever been in a similar type of situation?
6. “The moral of filmmaking in Britain is that you will be screwed by the weather.”
How does the weather effect where you live?
Too hot drives me nuts and I am a wimp in the cold. New England is a bad place for weather...
7. “When I think about actors I know, I'd much rather hear about who they're shagging than what film they're doing next.”
How about you? Are you more interested in you favorite artist’s next work, or the TMZ side of it all?
I like the "work" and not so much the actors, tho I have been known to note when Kiefer or Brendan have new lovers...
8. “Women are frightening. If you get to 41 as a man, you're quite battle-scarred.”
Have you ever felt “battled-scarred” by a relationship or relationships in general? If yes, do tell.
And how... too long a story and too many to mention.
9. “You know everyone loves to be the villain.”
Do you tend to root for the bad guy?
Yes, if they are clever and funny.
10. “I think that's the whole point of Bridget Jones. It's all about that it's okay to fail.”
What have you failed at and learned a lot from?
Keeping apartments for long periods of time.
Thursday, August 12, 2010
Today we picked Michael Jackson. The song titles from which we took the lyrics are in caps. Here's Rock 'n Roll Fridays!
1. BLACK OR WHITE: “It’s a turf war on a global scaleI’d rather hear both sides of the tale” …
What was the reason for your last argument?
I was quite angry with the discharge nurse at the hospital because she was so rude and short tempered with my elderly father and was upsetting him with her questions.
2. DON’T STOP TILL YOU GET ENOUGH: “Touch me and I feel on fire, Ain’t nothing like a love desire…I’m melting like hot candle wax, Sensation lovely where we’re at” …
Where was the last place you were intimate with someone?
On vacation near a pool in Bellingham, MA
3. ROCK WITH YOU: “Out on the floor There ain;t nobody there but us…Girl, when you dance, there’s a magic that must be love” …
What is your favorite dance move?
I love to slow dance, but used to really be a greatr disco dancer. I think The Twist is my favorite because it is so easy to do even if not done in years.
4. OFF THE WALL: “So tonight, gotta leave that 9 to 5 up on the shelf, and just enjoy yourself…groove…Let the madness in the music get to you, life ain’t so bad at all, If you live it off the wall” …
What do you like to listen to in the car or train/bus when you head home from work?
My own mixes of various artists and songs. If I go to the Berkshires, I like to listen to the radio, especially an alternative station that broadcasts from the Albany area.
5. SHE’S OUT OF MY LIFE: “She’s out of my life. And I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. I don’t know whether to live or die. And it cuts like a knife. She’s out of my life” …
Who are you glad is out of your life?
An old co-worker who was a very negative influence and a gossip.
6. THRILLER: “They’re out to get you, there’s demons closing in on every side. They will possess you, unless you change that number on your dial. Now is the time for you and I to cuddle close together, yeah. All thru the night. I’ll save you from the terror on the screen” …
What is your favorite monster or creepy person?
I love the Star Trek series meanies called The BORG. What a concept in terror! "Prepare to be assimilated, resistance is futile"!
7. BEN: “Ben most people will turn you away. I don’t listen to a word they say. They don’t see you as I do, I wish they would try to. I’m sure they’d think again if they had a friend like Ben” …
Who have you hung out with that no one else seemed to like?
My closest friend for the past 6 years. He is not my friend anymore, as it was a toxic friendship.
8. HUMAN NATURE: “Get me out into the night time, 4 walls won’t hold me tonight. If this town is just an apple. Then let me take a bite” …
What is your favorite thing about New York?
I love the creativity that comes from New Yorkers. I also have fond memories of the Metropolitan Opera House. I saw 3 operas there on school field trips.
9. MAN IN THE MIRROR: “I’m starting with the man in the mirror. I’m asking him to change his ways. And no message could have been any clearer. If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make that change” …
What was the last noticeable change you made in your appearance?
I lost 110 lbs.
10. BEAT IT: “They told him don’t you ever come around here. Don’t wanna see your face you better disappear. The fire’s in their eyes and their words are really clear so beat it. Just beat it” …
When was the last time someone refused to let you enter somewhere or threw you out of a place you were in?
I was denied entry into Fiction Records studio office even though one of the band members of The CURE had told them to allow me in. I was there to drop off tapes of my radio show for the band to listen to and to meet up with Perry, the guitarist and keyboard player who replaced Porl. The secretary did take the tapes from me through the door and Robert Smith commented about them when I spoke to him in an interview later that year. Perry said she did not tell him until the next day I had been there.
11. BAD: “I’m giving you on count of 3, to show your stuff or let it be. I’m telling you to watch your mouth, I know your name, what you’re about” …
What celebrity or politician do you think is a total jerk?
There are too many to just give one name, but some celebs have a wicked bad attitude. I'd have to say right now, Mel Gibson comes to mind, but only because he has been the most recent jerk in the news. Im sure another one will pop into the headlines next month.
12. EARTH SONG: “Did you ever stop to notice all the blood we’ve shed before. Did you ever stop to notice this crying earth, this weeping shore” …
What do you believe is the worst environmental or political tragedy to date?
Globally, the Rain Forest destruction is quite alarming. Locally, I am horrified by the purple spreading weed that is sucking the life out of marshlands and water areas, and the Asian Longhorned Beetle that is attacking maple trees in New England.
13. ROCKIN ROBIN: “Every little swallow, every chickadee, every little bird in the tall oak tree. The wise old owl, the big black crow, flappin their wings singin go bird go, rockin robin”
What is your favorite regional bird?
The Mockingbird is my absolute favorite. It's the "cover band" of the bird world. A mockingbird has to repeat the calls of all the other the regional birds in order to attract a mate.
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Saturday 9: Friends
1. How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friends do you feel will still be important to you ten years from now?
Debbie Ford, Jill Robb, Pam Leonowich, Adele Pacquette, Carrie Stewart, Dean Goddette, Ray Clinton, John Pertgen, Larry Darnell, and so many others...
I cherish friends from the past. I look forward to making new friends in the present..all friends are important, as well as family.
2. When you look at yourself in the mirror, what’s the first thing you look at?
My awful summer wind-blown hair...
3. Who was the most recent person on your missed call list on your cell phone? What’s your relationship with the person?
My half brother Jack. He was calling about my father who got admitted into the hospital last week and we need to discuss his future care.
4. What did your last text message you received on your cell phone say?
"Your AT & T phone bill is ready". I do not text...ever.
5. How would you “label” yourself?
I absolutely HATE labels. Maybe because I do not fit any label to exact description.
6. What was your favorite age that you’ve been?
I loved my physiccal appearance in my mid-20s, but I've had more fun as a 45+ gal, physically and emotionally than ever in my youth.
7. What is your current desk top picture? What’s it significance?
Coffee Cups because I LOVE coffee!
8. What was the last thing you said to someone that you‘d like to take back?
"Dad, I think they are releasing you from the hospital tomorrow..."
9. If you had to choose between a million bucks or to be able to go back in time and fix all your mistakes which would you choose?
Go back in time...I might invest in some interesting projects and wind up with a couple few million anyway! lol
Friday, August 6, 2010
I have at least 4 favs. Shalimar, warm chocolate cooking, fresh warm crusty bread and newly cut grass lawns.
2. EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE: Every move you make, every vow you break, every smile you fake, every claim you stake, I'll be watching you.
Ever stalked or researched an old flame?
Yes, years ago, when I suspected cheating, I drove by a boyfriend's house (while we were still dating) over and over around his block for about a half hour just to see if a strange car would pull into his drive. I got my answer within 15 minutes, and I was devastated.
3. IF I EVER LOSE MY FAITH IN YOU: I never saw no miracle of science that didn't go from a blessing to a curse…
What product did you buy that didn’t do what it claimed?
Spray on makeup for legs to look like a natural tan... The shower curtain and walls sported the tan. I was a streaky mess.
4. IF YOU NEED SOMEBODY SET THEM FREE: If you need somebody, call my name.If you want someone, you can do the same…
Do you have a nickname or have you been called something other than your given name?
I decided after my divorce to create my own name rather than keeping my husband's name or go back to being my father's property. I became Kathryn Alexander Collins. Kathryn for Star Trek's Kathryn Janeway, and Collins after the family that was the focus of the 1960's daytime soap opera Dark Shadows. I had always wanted to name a boy child Colin Alexander but never got the chance, so I took Alexander and Collins and switched them for my own name instead.
5. WE WORK THE BLACK SEAM: One day in a nuclear age they may understand our rage. They build machines that they can't control and bury the waste in a great big hole…
What do you do that is considered “Green”?
I'm good at the office separating paper trash and bottles and cans. At home, I slip up a little, but I do break down my cardboard and Bud burns all the papers with the charcoal in the grill.
6. MOON OVER BOURBON STREET: It was many years ago that I became what I am, I was trapped in this life like an innocent lamb…
What was the worst job you ever had?
There were many... tie between being in the ARMY (PFC stationed at Fort Jackson, SC) and my 3 months as the salad bar girl at Bonanza Steak House in the 1970s...I came home with my hair, skin and clothes reeking of grease every night.
7. I BURN FOR YOU… In peace we sleep entwined and your love flows through me. Though an ocean soothes my head, I burn for you…
What is the worst thing about sleeping with someone else in a bed?
Some people snore LOUDLY...
8. FORTRESS AROUND YOUR HEART: And if I built this fortress around your heart,Encircled you in trenches and barbed wire, then let me build a bridge, for I cannot fill the chasm…
What object or piece of furniture have you built?
I used to build my own waterbed frames in the 1980's. I also like to make that kit furniture, like bookcases and side tables from a box. I'm pretty handy around the house. : )
9. ENGLISHMAN IN NEW YORK: I don't drink coffee I take tea my dear, I like my toast done on one side, and you can hear it in my accent when I talk, I'm an Englishman in New York…
Do you require special preparation for a food or drink in a restaurant?
I consider coffee to be the "Nectar of the Gods"...but my blend is important. Public drinking is Dunkin Donuts medium hot with cream and 4 Splenda. Privately, I have a Keurig machine that brews Kona coffee or strong colombian, but NEVER flavors!
10. FIELDS OF GOLD: I never made promises lightly, and there have been some that I've broken. But I swear in the days still left we'll walk in the fields of gold…
What was the last promise you made?
To tell the truth and not hold back.
11. CONSIDER ME GONE: To search for perfection is all very well, but to look for Heaven is to live here in Hell. After today, consider me gone…
What was the worst way you ever broke up in a relationship?
All those Match.Com e-mail break ups...I'm not proud of those. I consider breaking up with someone in any way but in person to be wimpy and cowardly. Hopefully I won;t have to ever do that again...
12. THE RUSSIANS: How can I save my little boy from Oppenheimer's deadly toy, there is no monopoly in common sense on either side of the political fence…
What is your biggest fear of danger?
Ignorance is the root of all evil and issues in this world.
13. BRAND NEW DAY: How many lonely, sleepless nights, how many lies, how many fights, and why would you want to put yourself through all that again?
Do you prefer being married or single?
I've tried both and I can say with confidence that I have been happiest single.
Thursday, August 5, 2010
1. MADNESS: OUR HOUSE … “I remember way back then when everything was true and when we would have such a very good time, and such a fine time, a happy time”….
What is a funny memory of a parent, sibling or guardian in your childhood home?
I really don't have any belly laugh funny memories outside of my father's drunken escapades, but even those are more sad than funny.
2. MEN WITHOUT HATS: SAFETY DANCE … “We can dance if we want to, we’ve got all your life and mine…as long as we abuse it, never gonna lose it, everything will work out right”…
What activity did you do that would be considered dangerous or reckless?
In the 1970s, I used to drink and dance all night at the disco, then drive home slightly drunk after having breakfast at 3am.
3. FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD: RELAX … “But shoot it in the right direction, making it your intention…live those dreams, scheme those schemes, got to hit me, hit me, hit me with those laser beams”…
What was your dream job and what did you actually wind up doing?
I always wanted to be a rock n roll star, but I wound up being a DJ for 12 years, and a trumpet player all through school, so I came close. I now work in an office.
4. MODERN ENGLISH: I MELT WITH YOU … “I’ll stop the world and melt with you…you’ve seen the difference and it’s getting better all the time, there’s nothing you and I won’t do…I’ll stop the world and melt with you”…
What is the most romantic getaway you have taken?
Probably moving in with my boyfriend gives me access to many "getaways" in house!
5. THOMAS DOLBY: BLINDED ME WITH SCIENCE … “I don’t believe it! She’s tidied up again and I can’t find anything!All my tubes and wires, and careful notes”…
What valuable item have you lost?
6. DEVO: WHIP IT … “Crack that whip, give the past the slip, step on a crack, break your momma’s back”…
Were you spanked as a child? How were you punished?
I was spanked and hit with wooden spoons and spatulas. My mother did all the discipline, my father was my buddy.
7. ANIMOTION: OBSESSION … “You are an obsession, You’re my obsession, who do you want me to be to make you sleep with me?” …
What is the oddest thing you ever did to get someone to like you?
I painted his apartment.
8. TOMMY 2-TONE: 867-5309 JENNY JENNY … “Jenny Jenny who can I turn to? You give me something I can hold onto..I know you think I’m like the others before, who saw your name and number on the wall” …
Who do you regret giving your phone number to?
Several men, over the course of my dating years, but usually salesmen are the worst on the phone.
9. KAJAGOOGOO: TOO SHY … “Modern medicine falls short of your complaints, ooh, try a little harder, you’re moving in circles wont you dilate? Baby try”…
What is your favorite medicine or drug?
Legal drug: Tylenol with Codeine...Illegal drug: XTC (circa 1984)
10. GARY NUMAN: CARS … “Here in my car, I feel safest of all, I can lock all my doors, it’s the only way to live, in cars”…
What was /is your favorite car?
I used to love Corvettes, but I love the new Nissan CUBE. It looks like a spaceship.
11. THE GO-GOS: OUR LIPS ARE SEALED … “Can you hear them? They talk about us, telling lies, well that’s no surprise” …
What is the worst lie or rumor anyone ever told about you?
That I had slept with an instructor to get good grades in a class.
12. DURAN DURAN: HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF … “In touch with the ground, I’m on the hunt I’m after you, smell like I sound, I’m lost in a crowd, And I’m hungry like the wolf” …
What food do you crave so much you would brave a long line or travel a far distance to get it?
I drove 3 hours to Manchester, VT for an 8 oz jar of Mother Myrick's Hot Fudge.
13. JOAN JETT: I LOVE ROCK N ROLL … “I saw him dancing there by the record machine. I knew he must have been about 17. The beat was goin’ strong, playin’ my favorite song” …
What was the last song you paid to hear on a jukebox?
At a pizza house, I put .25 cents into a table box to hear "Time Of Your Life" by Green Day.